Wednesday, October 10, 2007

REDBOX

I have been shopping at Redbox [www.redbox.com].  (Don't get confused.  My fiancee should not get excited and expect something from Red Envelope [www.redenvelope.com] which is an entirely different website)
 
Redbox is that big DVD-dispensing machine that is starting to show up in grocery stores (and supposedly McDonald's).  Push buttons on the touchscreen, see what's inside and rent a movie for a dollar a night.  Considering that the local video store no longer had dollar rentals but instead wants to give me 5-night rentals for $2.50 or something, Redbox is cheaper.  Not cheaper by night, but cheaper by use... assuming I return the movie in the morning.
 
The selection is limited by machine and location.  Customers can return a movie to ANY Redbox machine.  So some locations may be short on titles while other locations may have extra titles.  But by running out to the Redbox.com website, I can browse the selection by location and even reserve the movie, to be picked up later.
 
This really isn't all that exciting.  But I come from a town that got excited when they built that no-attendant/pay-at-the-pump Shell station.

No comments: